5 January 2014

Birchbox December...

 
 

My first 'proper' post is dedicated to the beauty subscription service, Birchbox. I decided to join the site to try and expand the range of beauty products that I use and experiment with different skincare or make-up products. It's also a nice treat to receive a box of goodies each month! I signed up for the monthly subscription service, and you aren't tied into any sort of contract, being able to cancel at any time. Upon signing up you are asked to fill out a 'beauty profile' answering questions about the types of products you use or are attracted to, any skin sensitivities and other beauty questions to establish the best products to send you! My first box arrived a few days after signing up and contained; a sample of the new Lipsy perfume, Nail Rock velvet effect manicure, BeeKind body lotion, Jane Iredale lip and cheek stain, Alima Pure luminous shimmer eyeshadow, Number 4 non-aerosol hairspray and a Twistband, and conveniently, if you like any of the products the 'full-size' versions are available for purchase from the Birchbox site.



The BeeKind body lotion smells amazing! I've used it a couple of times now and I can definitely tell the difference after I use it. The price is fairly standard for a branded body lotion, however I just don't use these kind of products enough, this sample will probably last me a month or two!


Today I've tried the Number 4 non-aerosol hairspray for the first time, I'm definitely attracted to the fact that its a non-aerosol product, but to be honest hadn't necessarily considered that when buying hairspray previously. It smells incredible, literally I felt like it was nicer than my perfume, however, once on the hair it did become quite solid. I know I know, that's the idea right? But it was just a little bit too visible for my liking. Again, this sample size bottle will actually last me quite a while so I'm getting my money's worth from the subscription!


The colour of the Nail Rock manicure set, a deep purple, is a colour that I've actually been hunting for recently, but I wasn't so sure about the velvet effect at first. It's pretty easy to do, simply paint your nails and then dip them in the velvet before they dry! In the end I was quite pleased with how the manicure turned out, but I think most of the time I would just wear the colour on its own!

I've never really used eyeshadow that much, but the neutral shade of the Alima Pure shadow included in the box is great for everyday wear! It has a slight shimmer to it which is nice, and was also easy to blend with a darker shade to create a smoky eye effect for night-time. The little sample pot is really cute but I fear that it won't last long and it isn't the most inexpensive option, however features no irritants.
The box also featured a Twistband - a hair tie that leaves no kinks or marks in the hair when its removed. It's a really good idea, and the green colour felt very Christmassy, however it does look like a fairly simple product that is a ribbon with a knot in. I'm sure there's more to it than that! They also sell handband versions which would be ideal for the gym, and some of the other colours featured on Birchbox seem a lot nicer.
 
I have no pictures of the Lipsy perfume as it only lasted me a day! It was a lovely smell but I think it'd take a lot to convert me to a new perfume. It's just one of those products where everyone already has an established favourite!



My favourite item from the whole box is the Jane Iredale lip and cheek stain, I've taken to wearing it every day, particularly on my lips. It's a nice, natural pink with a slight shine, but not a gloss (not a fan of gloss), however on the cheeks it can easily become a little too pink! If I were to purchase one product from the selection it would definitely be this one, highly recommended.
 
My next Birchbox will arrive this month so I'll be sure to share it again, and I'd definitely recommend signing up to the site if you want to try some new products or simply add to your collection!

No comments:

Post a Comment